Have any of these thoughts ever crossed your mind?
- “I don’t know where to start.”
- “I can’t understand the Bible.”
- “I feel discouraged and lonely doing this by myself.”
- “Why isn’t it making sense when I just read the Bible?”
- "This is harder than I thought it would be.”
- “I’m in the middle of this, and I’m feeling a bit overwhelmed.”
- “What makes it worth it?”
Disclaimer: You are not alone. If we’re honest, we all suffer from different levels of intimidation when it comes to opening the Bible. And everyone who has desired to deepen their relationship with God by opening His Word has had some, if not all, of those same thoughts. Studying the Bible isn’t necessarily natural or instinctive. It truly takes discipline, work, and time.
We can promise this, though: it will be the most rewarding thing you can do for your faith. If you are willing to put in that discipline, work, and time, the dividends are exponential -- almost immeasurable! And anyone (yes, you!) CAN do it. Anyone (yes, you!) CAN reap the rewards of spending time in Scripture with deepening your relationship with Christ.
Honestly, it’s hard to describe the experience of knowing God to someone. But here’s an idea for you:
Imagine you’ve always wanted to travel to someplace exotic. You’ve seen pictures and read stories and even talked with people who've been there. But nothing can compare to the moment your foot steps off a plane and onto exotic soil. Because it’s experiencing it all firsthand.
That is what this type of Bible study offers you: experiencing Scripture firsthand. Meeting with Jesus face to face and getting to know Him on a first name basis.
So, let us point you in a couple of directions if you need a bit more information and encouragement:
- If you want to remember why we are studying God’s word like this, check out this blog: (What’s The Big Deal about Inductive Bible Study?).
- If you're lonely and need community, try perusing this blog: (Shalom Shalom: A Look at My Community). Also, remember you can connect with us on our social media community and find others who are on the same path. We are on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter! Or shoot us an email if you have a specific question at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you feel like you don’t have the tools you need give this blog a look: (Tools in a Toolbox). And remember, we have a whole resource page waiting for you, ready to teach you and help you out.
- If you're trying to remember some of the benefits of studying God’s word re-read this blog: (A Transition in Pursuit: Finding Truths and Applications.)
Let us also remind you that we ARE GLAD you’re here. We love you, our sisters in Christ, and we are so proud of you! We support you, and we are praying for you in this journey. Please, remember, our heart’s desire is for you to grow in your relationship with Christ.
If you hear the dark voice of doubt and discouragement listen to the truth:
- So, you didn’t get everything done this week. So what? Did you deepen your relationship with Jesus? If so, that is SUCCESS.
- So, your work looks different than someone else's. So what? Did you grow in the knowledge of Christ? If so, that is SUCCESS!
- So, you didn’t understand everything. Did you learn to love and trust God a little bit more then last week? If so, that is SUCCESS.
Success comes when you become more like Jesus. If you have moved toward this goal, you have SUCCESS. We don’t care how many t’s get cross and i’s get dotted. So long as your heart is reaching toward our Lord’s then you have VICTORY.
If those dark thoughts are still trying to cling to you then replace them with the truth. Listen to what God says:
“For the eyes of the LORD move to and fro throughout the earth that He may strongly support those whose heart is completely His.” 2 Chronicles 16:9
“Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous! Do not tremble or be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.” Joshua 1:9
“I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” Philippians 4:13
If we are your cheerleaders, then it is only because we want to be like our Heavenly Father. It is our Father who desires your relationship with Him. It is our Father who is with you wherever you go. It is our Father who will strongly support you. It is our Father who will strengthen you through Christ. Therefore, dear sister, BE STRONG AND COURAGEOUS.
As for the growing pains that come with the diligence and work of study, we want to take a moment and tell you this:
You can do it. And it’s gonna be worth it.
You’ve got a chorus of women surrounding you, who’ve sat right where you are and found the reward. And we want you to hear it from their hearts today:
“Studying the Bible excited me and intimidated me as well. I thought I needed to know everything about the Bible and God all at once, and that I needed to be able to study perfectly. But God taught me in baby steps and opened my eyes little by little to His truths in the Bible. The more I studied the Word, the easier it became to use the study tools.” -- Shellie
“Through being part of an inductive Bible study and learning different ways to look at passages of Scripture, it has opened my eyes to both realizing and experiencing how great a gift it is that we have access to the very words of God!
I continue to learn more and more about who God is, what He has done, continues to do, and about who He created me to be -- and how knowing these truths transforms the way I live. I have also taken the same approach of inductive Bible study to how I teach my group of college students.” -- Kari
“I've grown up with the Bible on my bookshelf and around the church, but it wasn't until I learned HOW to read the Word that I was able to apply what I learned… I have noticed such a significant change in the way that I read, study, and enjoy the Word since developing these skills and look forward to learning so much more.” -- Carly